PS About shop portfolio

2.20.2014

S A Y :: free people, free people


Lastnight I had the privilege of speaking at our Wednesday Night Youth Service. I was the perfect mix of nervous and excited. I have gone through a two year discipleship program where I got my ministerial credentials, 4 years at a bible university and been involved in ministry for 10 years, I've taught Sunday school classes and led small groups, but I have never ever preached a sermon. Why? Fear, nervousness, feelings of inadequacy... all of the usual suspects. So, Elisha regularly tries to get me on stage and I always have some excuse not to. Well, this time he got me. He asked and I said yes (and then immediately regretted my decision). As I prayed and thought through what I wanted to share, I began to get more and more peace about what I was going to be doing.  I realized that I had gone through certain situations in my life, felt certain feelings and experienced certain life change, that for me to share, would be my way giving those things purpose. I failed, I learned, I grew and now it gets to benefit other girls; and that's amazing! 

So lastnight I shared and it was incredible. I felt...comfortable. One word that I never thought I'd say about preaching. I didn't even feel afraid. It was really great being able to share with these young women and have them come up to me and share how much it meant to them. I know I am not the greatest communicator, but God has given me (and all of us!) a voice. 

At the Passion Conference I went to this last weekend, there was a phrase that kept being shared and it was: free people, free people. When we are free, when we know the truth and we tell others about our experience, it changes and frees them too! You have a voice, use it! 

I thought of rewriting my sermon as a blog post, but let's be honest, sometimes hearing a voice talking directly to us, makes a big difference. So, if you'd like to hear my sermon on relationships and the four lies the world tries to convince us of, take a listen! 



Thanks so much for all of your support and kind comments left for me on instagram and twitter! Y'all are the best! 

xo. melisa

**for some reason it starts the video at minute 7... sorry!

6 comments:

  1. So awesome! Do you do prints? I love that verse and your handwriting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on some now!! I'll announce on the blog so everyone will know! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous20.2.14

    I love this!! This is a quote that keeps popping up in my life- I think this is the third time I've seen it this week! Funny how that happens sometimes. [: It reminds me that I have already been set free and I need to keep living in that freedom. Thanks for posting.

    http://withaudrey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! God always has a way of really driving things home by making them pop up everywhere!

      Delete
  3. lovely words & lovely photo. you are inspiring! congrats on letting yourself be used to impact others. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! It's rarely easy stepping out to do what we should, but it is always worth it!

      Delete